I have random taste in music. Most of the stuff I listen to is stuff that’s played on the radio, but it’s from all genres. When I drive, I listen to just about everything. When I fly, I go with a random shuffle through a ton of songs on my iPod. In the office, I listen to nothing but country.
I’d say country is definitely my favorite genre, but top 40 stuff works better to get me in an upbeat mood, so I listen to that, too. Nothing takes you back in time like music, and I felt like posting the videos for 10 songs that will always bring me back to Operation Jack.
1. This song was pretty popular pretty early in the year and it will always remind me of those early months when I was getting into a rhythm.
2. Same exact comments as the first song.
3. Tiff (my wife) likes this song and it makes me think of her. I have it on my iPod, but I wouldn’t listen to it on the way out on trips — it would make me miss her! But I listened to it on the way back and it put me in a good mood. Every time I heard this (when not in an airplane), I text her and told her, “Hey Soul Sister! :)”
4. In a weird way, being away from Tiff so much brought us closer together. We really realized that we are in all of this chaos together, and we took a pride knowing it’s us against the world. Somewhere around August or so, this became our song, and we’d text each other any time we heard it. The video isn’t really what the song is about, but it’s pretty funny.
5. This is another one of those songs that Tiff likes (and I like) that makes me think of her. I’d hear this and I didn’t really like the title, because I fly a lot, but it sounds real nice. And Tiff likes it. And it will always take be back to this year.
6. This song actually came out in 2009, but I bet I heard it at more than 30 marathons. Most recently, I heard it at Marine Corps Marathon at about mile 9, and it made me smile, because there I was in Washington, D.C., and that night I was going to be celebrating Halloween in California with my family!
7. Heard this in Chicago and it was at that moment I realized I had succeeded in my goals — raising money, increasing membership in Train 4 Autism … and destroying my body!
8. I must have heard this at expos and finish lines at just about every race from September on. That’s when I started sensing the end of the 61 marathons, so it’s a finish-line song for me.
9. Like that last song, I think I heard this at just about every race from August on.
10. This song actually makes me thing more of 2009 after I launched my site and started to get ready for this year. Tiff made me listen to it for the lyrics, and as much as Miley Cyrus isn’t my kind of singer, I think that if there was one song that really captured what Operation Jack was all about internally to me, it might have been this one.
That’s all. Go ahead and laugh about Miley Cyrus making the list!