Week four of 19 for Badwater training was pretty light, although that’s to be expected, since I was coming off a 100-mile race. My coach normally gives me a couple of light weeks until I start to ramp it back up. This worked out well since I traveled down to the Washington, D.C. suburbs with a one of my best friends Ben, who will be my crew chief at Badwater, to celebrate our other best friend’s (Kevin) 50th birthday. We’ve all been friends since 1993. It’s been a blessing to have these two constants in my life.
One fun thing about that trip was getting together with Ben and a couple of longtime running friends, Bonnie and Jackie, for a 10-miler on the Saturday morning. Always a treat to run with friends and have good conversation. Here we are before:
Beyond that, really not much to the week. Weights, incline, moderate amount of running. I maybe kinda ate a little more than I should have down in DC, including some chocolate cake, and I had some carrot cake and a couple of cookies at Easter dinner back home. Gotta treat yourself a little bit not to go crazy, right? I weighed in this morning at 213, a little high, but I’m pretty bloated and I’m sure that number will drop by next week.
- 55:33, 3.0 miles at 12.0 incline on the treadmill after work
- One hour easy-effort recovery spin at the gym
- 1:06:43, 4.0 miles at 12.0 incline on the treadmill at lunch
- Chest/arms lifting at the gym after the treadmill hike (four stations, 5×20 reps each)
- 1:00:23, 3.9 miles at 12.0 incline on the treadmill at lunch
- 4.03 mile run (first run post-100, felt great) after work
- Back/shoulders/abs lifting at the gym after dinner (six stations, 5×20 reps each)
- Chest/arms lifting at the gym in the morning (four stations, 6×20 reps each)
- 6.11 easy miles after work.
- Power outage at the gym during my only window … nothing!
- 10.08 mile run in the morning
- Rest day
- Totals for the week: 20.22 miles running, 10.9 miles power hiking on the treadmill, three lifting sessions.